Thursday, July 1, 2010

Getting involved again

A year ago I went to a local support group for people who have alopecia, but due to my job at the time I could not attend the monthly meetings and I fell out of touch. Tonight, I decided to teach my nephew, who is 4, why Auntie Sheena does not have hair and wears wigs by taking him to an alopecia meeting. It was good to talk to people who are going through the same process, even though we all have our personal experiences and are at different stages of alopecia. It got me motivated to want to do more with the organization, such as possibly hosting a children's group more frequently in the Denver area for kids who suffer from the disease. If anyone out there in Denver have kids with alopecia who think they will benefit from this let me know, and we will get it going!

Also, in other alopecia news is Miss Delaware who won the pageant while wearing a wig and decided to forgo her shield during an interview. Check it out here: http://www.comcast.net/video/the-bald-and-the-beautiful/1532050245/Comcast/1532037315/

Here is an article from a speaker at the NAAF conference about the genes of alopecia.
http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/30/researchers-find-gene-linked-to-hair-loss/?hpt=Sbin

Both are great breakthroughs for alopecia and getting the word out. Go bald or go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment