Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hair's Arrested Development

So I have renewed my previous liking for the long ago canceled TV series Arrested Development. It only lasted 3 seasons, but to me is better than The Office...though I don't really appreciate The Office's dry humor. Arrested Development has some actors who have made names for themselves either before or after the show, such as Jason Bateman, Portia De Rossi, and Michael Cera. David Cross also does a wonderful job as a closet gay husband. "Buster" is in the new movie The Informant and "Maybe" is Ellen Page's new sidekick in Whip It. The reason why I even mention the show is because in the 3rd season, alopecia finds its way as the punchline in quite a few episodes. One of the characters is the CEO of a rival company who wears wigs and tapes on eyebrows because he has alopecia. According to the Bluthe family he is a "freak with no hair." At first I was offended by this as people do not need to misunderstand us as freaks because we cannot grow hair. However, you have to look at the family who is making the remarks, a twisted and shallow family, and the show that portrays the "hairless freak" as a character. I could get mad, but I ended up laughing with the rest of them. Not because the character was considered a freak, but because the show is a satire about a family that lacks all social and moral gracities. It has the same humor as Family Guy or The Simpsons, and if you don't find those funny, well then you aren't going to like Arrested Development. I like those shows though, and I realize that the producers are not making fun of the people with disablities and physical oddities, but making fun of the characters whom live in a warped view of reality. So, instead of getting offended let's laugh with the rest of them because how could we get through life if we didn't take time to laugh at ourselves every now and then?

2 comments:

  1. I finally decided to write a comment on your blog. I just wanted to say good job. I really enjoy reading your posts.

    supplements

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments and for reading!

    ReplyDelete