Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Concierge Concerns

So, I found this quite amusing. I was out one night with some people from my building and we ran into one of our concierges. He is a very nice person who takes his job seriously and always shows his concern for the tenants. Well, he asked me about my wig and was worried that I had cancer, and if there was anything my building could do they would be happy to help, as there were others in the building with cancer. I live with my dad right now, but I travel a lot for work and my concierge thought I was flying in for treatments. Not that cancer is amusing, but I do get this type of reaction a lot from those who do not know me, but know I wear wigs. When I was little, my mother told me that a man came up to her and offered his support since we were new in town and mentioned that his child also had cancer. My mother embarrasingly had to tell him that her daughter was not dying, but she felt horrible that his was. I hold some guilt about this dilemma, because having alopecia is very hard and traumatizing, and yes I have my illnesses because of it, but I am not dying. Do I have a right to be upset about living with a non-deadly skin condition when others who look like me are fighting for their lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment