Thursday, September 15, 2011

Alopecia Awareness Month

September is Alopecia Awareness Month!! A bunch of Alopecians are taking steps (small and large) to make alopecia front and center in their communities. Some women are making it aware in newsletters, while others are going to dare go without their wig in public. I decided to take the step to shave my head. I have never been completely bald in my life, and have always cringed at the idea because I wanted to keep whatever hair I had left. However, since it looks like I might lose it all anyways, which is scary in itself, I decided to shave my head on a 2 out of 3 coin toss. It is freeing and terrifying. I'm still not completely comfortable with it, but too late to turn back now! I will have to learn how to wear head scarfs I suppose. My nephew said I looked funny as my brother came to the rescue with proper shaving tools after I got most of it shaven. It was hard because I basically cried like a baby in front of my 5-year-old nephew while my brother shaved the rest off. I asked him yesterday if he still loved me even if I looked different, and he replied "Yea, I love you," and gave me a hug. When we went down to get the mail I hid behind a bush for oncoming cars, and he told me he would tell me when the coast was clear. It's silly I know, but I don't feel myself with a shaved head, so public appearances for my bald head aren't in the cards anytime soon, except on here. I knew then that he would always protect me from harsh words of ignorant people, like his dad who got in a fight when we were younger because some boy made fun of me. My brother always has my back. Love them to pieces!

On another note, I've been tackling the fake eyelash conundrum. I'm getting better! I don't wear them daily because it is tedious and my makeup is minimal during the week, but they are great for a night out!

I'm wearing them in this picture!

Here is my new head! Eeek!

No comments:

Post a Comment