Monday, August 1, 2011

True Life's Rebecca Richardson

I recently re-watched a True Life follow up episode where MTV re-visits past True Life members. Rebecca Richardson was one of them and gained fame on the original episode of "I'm Losing My Hair." Rebecca started losing her hair to alopecia areata at 19 through her college years and bravely shared her story with the nation. I contacted Rebecca, and she graciously agreed to do a mini interview for my blog. Normally, I would interweave quotes through out a post, but Rebecca had so many positive things to say about her experience with alopecia, so I wanted to share her full answers. Considering I have battled with the self-consiousness of dealing with alopecia all of my life, it is refreshing to hear encouraging words from someone who has only had it for 3 years. Thanks Rebecca for being so honest and open. Hope you guys enjoy!!

1. What other methods besides Cortisone shots have you tried to grow your hair back?

A: I've tried pretty much everything! Besides Cortisone, I attempted to grow hair back with: acupuncture, prednisone (or steroids), diet changes, Rogaine, and the "poison ivy" treatment....if it is out there, I've probably tried it.

2. Where are you at currently with your hair loss?

A: It has been a roller coaster of a journey for me since I got alopecia 3 years ago. About a year ago I became universalis, and now I have started growing back some random body hair, but still nothing on my head.

3. When it comes to dating, how long do you wait to tell the guy that you have alopecia? What are the reactions you have received when they do find out?

A: (It is funny you ask this, I was just talking about it with a close friend of mine) For me, my relationships have been with people who either knew me while I was loosing my hair, or were close enough to my friends that they were familiar with me having alopecia. I got the easy way out. My boyfriends knew I had it before we even starting dating or becoming serious. In my opinion, there is no "text book" way of knowing when or how to tell someone, or show someone. However, I'd say a good measure would be 90 days. In dating, 3 months should be a quality amount of time to learn about someone, figure out who they really are. Really though, telling a boyfriend or girlfriend about your alopecia should come whenever you are ready, when you see the relationship becoming more serious. The honest truth is that there are a lot of people out there who will never be willing to accept you and your alopecia. It is foreign for a lot of people, and their ignorance becomes a place of insecurity. On the other hand, there are so many special people out there who will take you in your best and worst form. I have lost friends to losing my hair, and lost boyfriends because they couldn't handle to emotional aspects of alopecia. In the end, whether or not you had alopecia, the people who aren't right for you will always find something wrong. And those are the ones who do not deserve you anyway. The keepers will stick around through thick and thin, and are willing to see you as beautiful in any way, shape, or form. For the most part, when I have told boyfriends out loud that I have alopecia, they have been really accepting. The reaction has been to either hug me or hold me, because they knew I was sharing a part of myself that was hidden and really impacting for my life.They have felt special in that I was willing to open up to them. I have also seen friends who have opened up to their boyfriends and their reaction had been kind at first, but then broke up with them a few days later. In general, I think most people are very considerate of touchy issues, and will be respectful to your face. Usually people express their fear or dislike behind your back, and while I do not think that is any better, it is knowledge that might make it easier to share your alopecia in your relationships.

4. I am thinking about moving to California, which is where you are at if I am correct? Being in a state that can be appearance obsessed, I admire your ability to go without a wig on the show when you only had some of your hair growing back, and you also mentioned you wouldn't put your wig back on after the show wrapped. Is this still true today?How do you hide it or are you pretty open?

A: California is great! :) Everywhere has places that people are obsessed with their appearance. In California, people do think highly of their outer appearance, but they also like standing out and being different. In this sense, it is easier to go out with no wig on because people may stare, but it is probably because they are enjoying your individuality and embracing your different appearance. After the show finished, for a while, I was totally okay with going out without a wig on. I was like, "who cares, if you don't like me, don't look." But when it came time for a job interview, or meeting people, or going on a date, I found myself starting to wear wigs again. I think for me, I did not want the first impression to be one of pity or confusion. I wanted people to be willing to talk to me and get to know me without the overhanging cloud of, "should I feel sorry for her," "I wonder what's wrong," or "I cant stop staring at her head." So, I started wearing wigs again. I don't so much hide my alopecia as much as I am really embracing it. Having alopecia gives me an opportunity to look and be exactly what I want to be. I can change my appearance and not feel weird about it. It's like those of us with alopecia were given this blank palette to do what we please with. And when people ask if I am wearing a wig, or if my eyelashes are fake, I tell them "yes" and then tell them about alopecia. I have mastered the eyelashes and wigs, so for me it is easy to hide. But I don't like to think of it as hiding, but as another shade of who I am.

5. What have you learned from the time you were on True Life?

A: I think the biggest lesson I learned from True Life is that it was a lot easier for me to conquer those things in life that I was afraid of, when I had the pressure of people and cameras. :) I'm not saying that throwing your self in front of a camera will help everyone overcome their struggle with alopecia, but I think pushing your personal boundaries and putting yourself in unique and unfamiliar circumstances, makes it much easier to realize how alopecia is really small in the grand scheme of diseases and medical conditions, and life. While there are still moments that I cry over my alopecia, or wish that I could have my hair back, for the most part, I try to remind myself that, 1)we are special individuals, 2)I am healthy and alive, and 3) the strength, knowledge and selflessness that I have learned from having alopecia will outweigh having my hair back, any day.



I've included her original episode link, which was taken from the Alopecia World website.

http://www.alopeciaworld.com/video/mtvs-true-life-full-episode%20


This is the link for follow up episode of Rebecca's journey from MTV.com.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-true-life-favorites-where-are-they-now/1655488/playlist.jhtml#series=2211&seriesId=5232&channelId=1

You will have to cut and paste in a new browser to watch videos. Sorry for the inconvenience!

4 comments:

  1. Nice interview. Good job Sheena! I wore my hairpiece recently for my driver's license photo because they don't allow headcoverings unless you have a medical note. I've been wearing headband bandannas (I have about 100)for so long now that when I showed my ID photo to my friends, they actually said they liked the way I looked better with the bandannas because it's what they are used to. My husband didn't even recognize me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've had boyfriends who prefer me without my wig because it is really me. I personally think I look funny with bandannas, because I'm so used to my wig I think. What do you think of yourself in your ID?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheena! I just now saw that you responded to my comment. Well, I think I look ok with the hairpiece, but I don't prefer it. I wore one for a few years, but I became quite OCD with it...constanty mirror checking...always worried about weather conditions...and wondering if people could tell it was not my hair. It was actually quite crippling at times. I had hair replacement surgery which was successful for a few years, but then my hair started falling out again. I had a 2nd surgery, but my hair continued to thin on top. I wore wide stretchy headbands to cover it...then wider...finally I went to the expandable bandanna headband to cover the hair loss that had extended further back. I think of it as "decorating my head." I would probably wear the hairpiece if I had to attend a formal occasion, otherwise I prefer the "real me." I'm mentally preparing myself for more hair loss as I approach menopause. A wig may be my only option eventually. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across this. I love hearing amazing and positive stories! Thank you for sharing. I work for a company that sells hair pieces at the lowest costs. www.namebrandwigs.com.

    ReplyDelete